THIS fine photograph shows the official opening of the free library at Fitzroy House, Lewes, in the last decade of the 19th century.
It comes from the Eddie Buck collection.
The fine building was presented to the town as the Fitzroy memorial library by Hannah Fitzroy in memory of her husband, Sir Henry Fitzroy, MP from 1837 to 1859.
The building was later converted to a private home by Jim Franks who still lives there with his wife.
Note the handsome, old railway viaduct crossing what is now the town’s dismal ‘new’ shopping centre.
And what are all those young men wearing boaters doing in the foreground?