Bomb squad called to MP candidate's office in Horsham; homes evacuated

A bomb disposal vehicle was called to Horsham after the discovery of a ‘suspicious package’ at an MP candidate’s office.

According to an eye-witness, homes were evacuated on Madeira Avenue after the incident at the office of Horsham’s Conservative parliamentary candidate Jeremy Quin.

Mr Quin wrote on X (formerly Twitter): “After the receipt of a suspicious parcel at my Horsham office earlier today the police decided that the incident should be escalated and specialists from the Explosive Ordinance Disposal team were called in.

"It is still under investigation but there is no cause for alarm and the incident is being thoroughly and professionally addressed.

"It’s a huge privilege to engage in public service but sadly in the world in which we live incidents of this nature always have to be taken seriously. I am very grateful to the emergency services for their prompt actions and continuing work to ensure public safety.”

Sussex Police issued a statement shortly before 7pm.

A spokesperson said: “Police received a report of a suspicious package at a premises in Madeira Avenue, Horsham, at about 2.40pm this afternoon.

“Police and the Explosive Ordnance Disposal team are currently at the scene.

“If anyone in the area has concerns, they can speak to an officer at the scene, or call 101. Further updates will be provided in due course.”

In an update at 8.45pm, the police added: “We have stood down our presence in Horsham following a report of a suspicious package earlier this afternoon.

“After an assessment it has been confirmed that the package was safe and there was no risk to the public.

“Officers are reviewing whether there has been an offence committed in the sending of the package and this investigation is ongoing.”

A photo taken at the scene showed a bomb disposal vehicle and a fire engine on the road.

The police were reportedly first at the scene this afternoon before the bomb squad and fire service arrived around 5pm.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that two crews – one from Horsham and one from Leatherhead – have responded to the incident but could not comment further.

Related topics:

Comment Guidelines

National World encourages reader discussion on our stories. User feedback, insights and back-and-forth exchanges add a rich layer of context to reporting. Please review our Community Guidelines before commenting.