BREAKING NEWS: Two children hurt in explosion

TWO children have been taken to hospital after a hair spray can exploded on a fire in front of them.

The small close where the explosion happened PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell
The small close where the explosion happened PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell

The siblings, a 12-year-old boy and 14-year-old girl, had been playing with the canister around the embers of a fire pit in their garden, in The Willows, Storrington, when it overheated and blew up.

Mark Hayter, West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service’s fire investigation officer at the scene, said: “They were using paper to try and light it. Then then did some fire play by placing a hair spray can on the embers. The canister heated to a point that it exploded.”

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Both children were burnt by the blaze, with an air ambulance, fire crews and a paramedics being called to the scene, at about 10.30am today (May 25).

The remains of the exploded can which injured two children PHOTO: Eddie Mitchell

The boy suffered extensive burns to about 40 per cent of his body, while his sister received superficial burns to her knees and hands.

Both were taken to Worthing Hospital for treatment.

No property was damaged during the today’s incident.

Mark has since issued a warning to all young people thinking about playing with fire.

The air ambulance lands near to the house. PHOTO: Ashley Woods SUS-150525-131237001

He said: “Playing with fire can be very dangerous. When you play with a cylinder with gas in it, on a fire, it can lead to explosive consequences, which can result to serious injuries or fire being spread to property.”

This incident is not an uncommon one for the fire service to attend to, said Mark.

He said a lot of young people experimented with fire, with some creating small flame-throwers using hairspray or deodorant cans.

He added: “This fascination can lead to big consequences. There are severe consequences when it all goes wrong.”

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1 Make our website your homepage

2 Like our Facebook page

3 Follow us on Twitter

4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The first with your local news.

Be part of it.