Residents are being warned of the dangers of chimney fires and the importance of keeping chimneys properly maintained following a spate of incidents.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called out three times yesterday (Sunday January 4) to chimney fires in Herstmonceux, Seaford and Brighton.
Crews were called to Windmill Hill at 11.51am and at 5.46pm to Chichester Road in Seaford. Crews said no action was required by the service at the Seaford incident following an investigation.
A spokesman for the fire service said it would like to remind residents who enjoy an open fire in the chilly weather to take steps to keep themselves and their family safe.
The spokesman said it is important to:
Ensure your chimney is swept regularly.
Remember chimneys should be swept according to the type of fuel used:
Smokeless fuels - at least once a year.
Bitumous coal - at least twice a year.
Wood - quarterly when in use.
Oil once a year.
Gas - once a year (Any work on gas appliances requires a Gas Safe registered installer/engineer).
Keep chimneys and flues clean and well maintained.
Be careful when using open fires to keep warm. Make sure you always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers.
Ensure the fire is extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house.
Ensure good quality fuel is used.
Never interrupt the air supply by blocking air vents or air bricks.
For full information on how to keep safe when using an open fire check the service’s community safety pages, where you will find useful and relevant information, as well as contact information for The National Association of Chimney Sweeps.