East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is reiterating its chimney safety advice following fires in Ringmer and Rodmell.
Crews from Lewes responded to a chimney fire in Harrisons Lane, Ringmer, on Wednesday, January 13, at 6pm.
They used a chimney kit, a hose reel and cutting away equipment to extinguish the fire. Firefighters also used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire was out.
At 7.10pm that day, the same crews responded to another chimney fire in a wood burner flue at a property in Rodmell. Crews from Barcombe were also sent to this incident.
Crews bought the fire under control and used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the blaze was fully extinguished.
Advice from Lewes Community Fire Station is to make sure your chimney is swept at the beginning of the season by a professional chimney sweep.
If you are burning wood, the advice is to sweep your chimney twice a year. If you are burning coal, sweep your chimney once a year.
Use seasoned wood, which isn’t too wet and always use a fire guard where appropriate.
Visit www.esfrs.org for more information.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/
3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.