Crews called to family home in Newhaven after dishwasher blaze

Fire safety officers are reminding residents and homeowners of the importance of smoke alarms after East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service were called to house fire in Newhaven at 11.38pm last night (Tuesday February 10).

An extended rescue pump ladder and a water tender from Newhaven Community Fire Station were sent to a house in Gibbon Road after a caller reported a dishwasher on fire.

A smoke alarm had alerted the family, who had been asleep at the time.

Firefighters used two breathing apparatus and one hose-reel to extinguish a fire in the kitchen, saving the property.

One male casualty was given oxygen at the scene for the effects of smoke and left in the care of the ambulance service.