Crews called to fire at Peacehaven restaurant

Three crews attended a fire at a restaurant in Peacehaven last night.

Thursday, 17th June 2021, 12:13 pm
Updated Thursday, 17th June 2021, 12:14 pm
Firefighters at the scene last night. Photo by Aidan Skinner
Firefighters at the scene last night. Photo by Aidan Skinner

The fire service was called to Burger and Bird restaurant in South Coast Road, Peacehaven at 10.23pm on Wednesday (June 16).

They used breathing apparatus and hose reel jets to put out a fire and then a PPV fan to clear smoke, a spokesman said.

The fire was accidental, believed to have been caused by overheated clothes in a tumble dryer, confirmed the fire service.

In a statement on its Facebook page, Burger and Bird said they would be opening at 4pm today.

"Everyone is safe which is the most important thing but we had a small fire in a room on our first floor," the statement read.

"All was dealt with quickly by the the fire brigade and we will be back in business later this afternoon.

"Thanks for everyone’s kind messages."

The fire service said it was the second fire it had attended in two days linked to white goods.

It comes after a fire in the early hours of June 15 at the Roundhill pub in Ditchling Road, Brighton, which was linked to a washing machine.

The fire service issued the following safety tips around white goods:

• Keep them dry - this includes plugs and sockets, not a good idea to put a vase of flowers on top of the TV, for example

• Switch them off at night - unless they are designed to be left on, like freezers

• Anything made of metal, or has a metallic finish or parts shouldn't go into a microwave

• Electrical appliances, especially ones that run at high speeds and contain motors, like washing machines, should be serviced once a year by a qualified electrician.

• Follow the manufacturer's instructions

A spokesman said: "Manufacturers occasionally recall products with potential safety problems

"You can Register Your Appliance for repairs and recall information: https://www.registermyappliance.org.uk."