Lewes man fined £4,000 following illegal rave in Wales

A man from Lewes has been fined £4,000 following an illegal rave in Banwen, Wales, which was held on the August Bank Holiday weekend in breach of coronavirus legislation.

Thursday, 25th March 2021, 1:02 pm
Court news

Nigel Harris, aged 37 from Lewes in East Sussex, appeared in court on Friday, March 19, where he was fined £4,000 with a £190 victim surcharge and £200 court costs, confirmed South Wales Police.

According to a BBC report, Harris admitted supplying speakers for the event but said he had believed it was for a 21st birthday party which would not breach covid regulations in Wales.

Police said a total of £12,550 in fines had been given to 13 people following the illegal rave.

At the time, music equipment and vehicles were also seized.

Assistant Chief Constable David Thorne said: “Organising such an event was extremely disappointing and disrespectful to the community.

“It meant that officers and paramedics had to deal with this vast event in a hostile environment on a weekend that was already exceptionally busy for emergency services.

“Not only that but this was in the midst of the Coronavirus pandemic where the health and wellness of thousands of people were put at unnecessary risk.

“Those who attended knew that their actions were irresponsible and many travelled hundreds of miles to attend the event, which in itself could have potentially contributed to the spread of the virus to multiple communities and key workers.

“We have worked closely with the CPS to bring many of them before the court to face the consequences of their actions.”