Emergency services were alerted to Horton Road after reports of a strong smell of fuel coming from a flat

Residents allowed back home and man arrested after incident at East Sussex flat - See large emergency response in pictures

Residents were evacuated from their homes after a bomb disposal team joined a huge emergency response to an incident in Brighton yesterday (Friday, May 22).

By Sam Morton
Saturday, 23rd May 2020, 12:27 pm
Updated Saturday, 23rd May 2020, 1:07 pm

Sussex Police said officers were alerted to Horton Road after reports of a strong smell of fuel coming from a flat in the road shortly before midday. A number of containers of liquid – suspected to be petrol – were discovered inside, police confirmed. A spokesperson added: “The Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) carried out an assessment and concluded there was no explosive threat. Police will remain at the scene in the meantime as enquiries continue. The road, which had been temporarily closed, has since reopened.” Police, who were also joined by ambulances and fire crews the incident, said residents were allowed home late last night. “Police would like to thank the public for their patience and understanding, and extend their thanks to partner agencies who worked together at the scene,” the spokesperson said. “A 30-year-old man of no fixed address was arrested on suspicion of possession of an explosive substance for an unlawful purpose and has been taken to custody for questioning, where he remains at this stage.”

Page 1 of 4