Young boy 'grabbed' by man in a car in Bognor Regis

An investigation has been launched after a stranger 'grabbed' an 11-year-old boy by the wrist in Bognor Regis.

Police received a report, at 1.15pm on Tuesday (November 24), that an 11-year-old boy had been 'approached by two men in a car', whilst he was walking in Frith Road.

"The men approached him in a silver vehicle similar to a Vauxhall Zafira, which is also described as having a damaged wing mirror," a spokesperson for Sussex Police said.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

"The passenger is believed to have grabbed the boy by the wrist but he broke free and ran home."

Police are treating the incident as suspicious

Police said they are treating the incident as suspicious and enquiries are being made to identify the vehicle and occupants.

The spokesperson added: "There is an extra police presence in the area and enquiries are being made to establish a full picture of the circumstances but at this stage there is nothing to connect this incident with any other incidents in the area."

Anyone who witnessed the incident or has CCTV, doorbell or dashcam footage that may assist is asked to contact Sussex Police online or by calling 101, quoting serial 585 of 24/11.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.