THE FRIENDS of the Crouch were drawing attention to all the great activities on offer in the historic quarter of Seaford this week.
To that end they have produced a leaflet together with all the community groups which are based at the park.
It is available at Seaford Tourist Information Centre and lists all the facilities at The Crouch.
The leaflet also sheds light on the history of the area, which began life as the site of the town’s medieval market.
Kate Parkinson, from Friends of the Crouch said: “This was a collaborative community project, led by Friends of the Crouch, between all the groups that are based in the park.
“The intention was to publicise the Crouch Gardens’ facilities and activities, and encourage people to enjoy Seaford’s best kept secret.”
Amongst the clubs at the park, just off East Street, are Seaford Town Football Club, based here since the early 1900s and Crouch Bowling Club, at the park since 1935.
Mercread Youth Centre reopened this year, providing activities for all Seaford’s young people and even lets the space to local groups.
Seaford Quakers created a peace garden in partnership with Seaford Town Council.
The Exchange Project started a garden with a Mediterranean corner, wildlife pond, children’s play area and organic fruit and vegetables.
A children’s playground was built by Seaford Town Council and Lewes District Council.
Friends of the Crouch hold open air theatre performances and live music, collaborating with Seaford Live.
They also work with the Exchange Project and Seaford Family Focus Group on the Pumpkin Party and children’s lantern parade.
From the early 1800s Crouch House stood in one corner of the park until 1930, when it was sold to the council.
The house was demolished in 1967 and the park was requisitioned for allotments during both world wars.
In fact in World War II it was designated as a gas decontamination centre.
It used to host Seaford Donkey Derby, until the event grew too big for the park. To find out more visit www.seaford-sussex.co.uk/FOTC.