Early warning prevents major flats fire

A SMOKE alarm did its job in Wickham Avenue yesterday morning when it alerted occupants of a three-storey flat conversion to an overheating frying pan on a first-floor kitchen hob.

Four adults with a baby quickly left the building and a 999 call had two Bexhill fire crews quickly on the scene.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Watch commander John Haizelden said: “Thanks to the early warning given by the smoke alarm no one was hurt, the fire was quickly contained and we were able to minimise internal damage.

“It once again underlined the importance of people having smoke alarms fitted and maintained, and following the rule on discovering a fire of get out, stay out and call us out.”

Anyone wanting advice on fire safety and smoke alarms can find out more by calling 0800 177 7069 or e-mailing: [email protected]