Eastbourne fire crews called to two chimney fires in one day
Eastbourne’s fire crews were called to two chimney fires yesterday which has prompted the fire service to issue a warning to the public.
East Sussex Fire & Rescue attended a chimney fire yesterday morning (March 10) at a house in Hailsham and another one in Lewes just before 7pm.
According to the service, the fires were put out with chimney kits and water buckets.
The service said no injuries were reported at either incident.
A spokesperson for the service said, “Chimney fires in the area have been slowly decreasing but even a small fire can cause significant damage and disruption.
“Fire isn’t the only risk it’s important to install a carbon monoxide alarm in any room that contains a solid fuel burning appliance.”
The service said chimneys should be well maintained and swept according to the type of fuel used:
• Smokeless fuels - at least once a year
• Bitumous coal - at least twice a year
• Wood - quarterly when in use
• Oil - once a year
• Gas - once a year
The service also said you should always use a fire guard to protect against flying sparks from hot embers, fires should be extinguished before going to bed or leaving the house and the air supply should never be interrupted by blocking air vents or air bricks.
More information at: https://www.esfrs.org/