Fire breaks out at Eastbourne home

Firefighters have been called to a home in Eastbourne this afternoon (Saturday, March 6).

Saturday, 6th March 2021, 3:23 pm
Updated Saturday, 6th March 2021, 4:16 pm

Multiple appliances were sent to the scene of a fire in a residential building on Enys Road, said East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service in a statement just after 3pm.

A spokesperson added: "The incident is a result of an electrical fire starting in the basement. One aerial ladder platform, four breathing apparatus, one main jet and one seven foam are being used.

"Please avoid the area."

Nearby residents are also now being urged to keep their windows shut.

The fire service confirmed that one patient, with smoke inhalation, has been left in the care of paramedics from South East Coast Ambulance Service.

Six fire engines were initially at the scene, following the emergency call at 1.25pm. Two further appliances have since arrived to tackle the fire.

Updates to follow as and when we get them.

The fire service has asked people to avoid the area. Photo: Dan Jessup