Firefighters were called to Hampden Park last night (May 19), to a bonfire which spread to the fence and shed of a neighbouring property.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service reminded the public to take care when building bonfires following the incident at a property in Decoy Drive.
Two fire engines from Eastbourne were sent to the address at 6.08pm, and crews used two hose reel jets to tackle the flames.
The cause of the fire was a bonfire which had got out of control and spread to both the fence and shed of a neighbouring property.
East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service issued the following advice:
Building a bonfire
Where and how you build your bonfire is important:
- only burn dry material not damp, which causes more smoke
- build the bonfire away from sheds, fences and trees
- check there are no cables - like telephone wires - above the bonfire
- don’t use petrol or paraffin to get the fire going - it may get out of control quickly
Bonfire safety tips
Once the bonfire is lit:
-keep a bucket of water or a garden hose nearby - in case of emergencies
-don’t leave the bonfire unattended
-keep children and pets away from the bonfire
-don’t throw any fireworks into the fire
-don’t burn aerosols, tyres, canisters or anything containing foam or paint - many produce toxic fumes and some containers may explode, causing injury
- Once the bonfire has died down, spray the embers with water to stop it reigniting.
*Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1 Make our website your homepage at www.eastbourneherald.co.uk
2 Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/ Eastbourne-Herald-and-Gazette
3 Follow us on Twitter @Eastbournenews
4 Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Eastbourne Herald - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.