Fire fills Hellingly house with smoke

Fire service
Fire service
Share this article

Fire crews from Hailsham and Herstmonceux attended a fire at a house in Hellingly this morning (Tuesday January 20) after the householder reported the house full of smoke at 5.46am.

Firefighters found a small fire in a wooden fire surround.

They used a portable backpack tank with hand pump to put-out the fire and cut away the wooden surround.

No one was injured and the property was saved.

Residents are being encouraged to be careful when using open fires and take the following precautions:

* Do not overfill a fire grate in case coals fall out

* Use a spark guard

* Do not position furniture too close to the fire

* Do not place a mirror above a fire, people may stand too close