Fire service reveals cause of blaze at Plumpton College


East Sussex Fire and Rescue service has released details of what started a blaze at Plumpton College last week.

Firefighters were called to the scene, on Ditchling Road, at 7.30am on Thursday, July 30 and remained there until 6pm the following day (Friday, July 31).

More than 3,000 bales of hay were alight in a barn measuring 130 metres by 25 metres.

A spokesperson for East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service confirmed the fire was started by spontaneous combustion - caused by the way the hay had been stored combined with high temperatures.

Five crews attended the site, including one fire engine from Barcombe, the water carrier and fire engine from Uckfield, and one fire engine and the water carrier from Burgess Hill, from West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

They initially used hose reels and ground monitor to tackle the fire, before bringing in a mechanical digger to reduce the pile of hay and manage the incident.

Firefighters were also working to make the building safer by removing roof panels which were damaged in the fire.

There are no reports of injuries or animals being involved.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.