A SCAFFOLDER from Seaford who took heroin was found dead by his father, an inquest heard.
Scott Hanscomb’s body was discovered by dad William Hanscomb, who had called round to his flat in Ringmer Road.
He last saw him on October 9, 2010, and four days later thought something was wrong so he went to check.
An inquest into the 38-year-old’s death at Eastbourne Magistrates’ Court on Thursday July 21 heard the amount of heroin found in his blood could be fatal to someone without a tolerance to the class A drug.
A post mortem examination gave the cause of death as heroin toxicity with multiple benign gastric ulcers as a possible contributory factor.
A statement from friend Donald Skinner said he had last seen Mr Hanscomb on Saturday or early hours of Sunday before his death and met with him at his own flat where they drank vodka and beer.
He said Mr Hanscomb was very drunk but that he hadn’t seen him take drugs that night.
There was no evidence of drug use in Mr Hanscomb’s flat. Friend Michelle Domican told the hearing Mr Hanscomb occasionally took cannabis and had dabbled with cocaine, but had told her he would never take heroin.
But Frances Davis, a resident at the block of flats, said she believed she last saw him on Sunday October 10 and he mentioned he had ‘other stuff’. She asked if he meant cocaine and he said it was smack, which she took to mean heroin. No one has been prosecuted in connection with his death.
Recording a verdict of death from a non-dependant abuse of drugs, coroner Alan Craze said he was satisfied that if Mr Hanscomb was taking heroin it had only been recently.