Hopes were raised when Worthing Borough Council announced the key regeneration site had been sold to a new buyer last Tuesday, after years of inactivity.
The buyer has yet to be revealed but it is anticipated a planning application would be submitted by the end of the year.
A mixed use development would, according to the council, include housing and ‘a wide range of commercial uses’.
Suggestions for the site have since flooded in from readers on the Herald’s Facebook page.
Aaron Burnell said: “I’d like to see an ice rink and an IMAX multiplex cinema, maybe a few shops.
“Food-wise, Frankie and Benny’s and Nandos, and also a car park, keeping the park and bus ride for town and use of facilities.”
A cinema was previously part of ambitious £150 million plans put forward by developers Hanson Capital Management.
But the town’s traditional cinemas and theatres are sufficient for many, who were wary of the effect a multiplex would have.
Chairman of South Broadwater Residents’ Association Tim Nicholls said: “(I would like to see) a transport hub with buses using it instead of Marine Parade, or an ice rink and shops for commuters and a conference centre, which we haven’t got.”
For others, the move was a positive step forward, signalling a light at the end of the tunnel for the run-down site.
Carmel Anderson said: “Teville Gate has always been seen as a symbol of Worthing’s attitude to change, and that’s not always been a positive, so the buy out is symbolic of how far Worthing has come and that there’s still more to come.”
The council confirmed the land which had been sold did not include Teville Gate House but negotiations were ongoing that could still see it incorporated.
Responding to scepticism that the latest deal would actually see a positive outcome, a spokesman said: “The discussions that we have had between the site’s existing owners and the future developers do give us confidence that the town will be enhanced by the development, which will, of course, be subject to full and rigorous planning consultations.”
A joint statement from the new owners and the council is expected to be released by early June.