Kitchen fire at Newhaven


East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service is issuing a safety reminder after a kitchen fire in Newhaven.

Firefighters were called out at 8.40pm last night (January 11) to reports of the smell of smoke at an address in Meeching Place.

Two crews from Newhaven arrived and found a small fire in a kitchen.

Two breathing apparatus and CO2 were used, along with a thermal imaging camera to check the fire was out.

A PPV fan was also used to clear the smoke.

Safety advice

Even a small kitchen fire can cause serious smoke or fire damage but you can help keep you and your family safe.

*Turn saucepans so the handles don’t stick out over the edge of the hob or over another ring

*Check that the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and empty the crumb tray regularly

*Double check that the cooker is off when you have finished cooking

*Make sure tea-towels aren’t hanging over the cooker and don’t put oven gloves on top of a hot cooker

*Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - built-up fat and bits of food can start a fire

*Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, eg by a phone call

*Don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or taken prescription drugs - you may get drowsy or lose concentration