The Legionella bacteria was found in the changing rooms in Lewes Rugby Club in Kingston Road during November, Lewes District Council confirmed this week.
It said a very low reading of legionella was discovered during regular monitoring checks in the changing rooms and they cannot be used until repairs are completed.
The council said the repairs will be completed within the next week.
A spokesperson for the district council said: “Unfortunately it has had an impact on Lewes Rugby Club but we are pleased that Seaford Rugby Club and Seaford Town Council have agreed to allow for some Lewes Rugby Club matches to be moved to their ground at The Salts, where possible. In the meantime the flood-lit pitches at Stanley Turner are still able to be used despite the closure of the changing rooms.”
Legionella can cause Legionnaires disease which is a serious lung condition.