Neighbours spot Lewes kitchen fire

An alert neighbour contacted East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service to a flat fire in Lewes after spotting smoke coming from a kitchen window above a shop.

Three crews from Lewes and Barcombe were called out to the property in Cliffe High Street, at 10pm yesterday (Thursday December 5).

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the small kitchen fire, started by overcooked food, and used a positive pressure ventilation fan to clear the smoke from the building.

A 30-year-old man was treated with oxygen at the scene and paramedics attended.