Newhaven 1, Horsham 3: Hornets down leaders to go top

DM159723a.jpg Football - Horsham v Deal. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-150831-210507008
DM159723a.jpg Football - Horsham v Deal. Photo by Derek Martin SUS-150831-210507008

Horsham climbed to the top of the Premier Division with a fine 3-1 victory way at previous leaders Newhaven in abysmal conditions today.

The Dockers were knocked off their perch by the Hornets through driving rain and swirling wind at Fort Road.

It was an impressive showing by the Hornets, who have at times this season found boggy pitches hard to play their passing game.

But there were no such problems as the visitors were at it from the off and clinched victory thanks to goals from Terry Dodd, Ash Jones and Kieron Pamment.

The home side, who were actually asserting some late pressure, did have to play the last eight minutes with nine as Scott Edwards was sent off for a last-man tackle and Adam Kneller also saw red for his strongly-worded protests to referee Theo Parfitt.

That, however, should take little gloss of what was an impressive showing from the new league leaders despite seeing star man Jordan Clark sign for Worthing this week.

The visitors had all the early running with Jake Buss by far the busier of the two goalkeepers, Gareth Williams was only tested on 34 minutes when he tipped over an effort from Joe Dryer.

Horsham led on 40 minutes as Dodd was played through one on one and he finished left footed past the home keeper.

The lead lasted all of three minutes as a corner flew right in on Williams and he parried into a barrage of bodies and the ball came off Ryan Knight’s back and ended up in the net.

Jones, who had been furious that what he felt was an offside in the build-up to the corner had been missed, continue his remonstrations as the half-time whistle blew.

The visitors led again just five minutes into the second half as Jayson Sowter hesitated to head a ball into the box and Buss was forced to make a blow save at Nathan Crabb’s feet.

The ball found itself to Jones on the right of the area and he fired low across goal and through a sea of players into the far corner.

Horsham then lost Darren Boswell to injury and Newhaven had their best spell of the match with the away side protecting a nervy goal advantage.

But the pressure was stemmed on 82 minutes as Edwards looked to have won the ball as the last man as Joe Shelley burst forwards, but was shown a straight red card and defender Kneller saw the same as he protested.

The Hornets then sealed their table-topping win in injury time as Dodd broke forwards and unselfishly squared for Pamment to fire home much to the delight of the sizable amount of away supporters.

Newhaven: Buss, Sidwell, Kneller, Knight, Edwards, Jallow (Boddy 83), Rhodes, Sowter (Davies 83), Dryer, Bunch, Robinson. Unused subs: Dartnall, Walton, Woolven.

Horsham: Williams, Duncan, Knee, Jones, Storrie, Pamment, Lewis, Shelley, Boswell (Chadwick 53), Crabb, Dodd. Unused subs: Keehan, Jarman, Farmer.