Thanks to kind strangers in Findon who helped me out

This article contains affiliate links. We may earn a small commission on items purchased through this article, but that does not affect our editorial judgement.

Sunday 5th June 2016, a beautiful day both sunny and warm, started off really well. My granddaughters aged 11 and 7 were washed dressed and fed before 10 o'clock so with my dog off we went in the car for a walk over the fields at Findon.

I parked, as usual, in the car park at the top of Limetree Avenue/Coombe Rise and Shepherds Mead and we set off.

The dog off the lead and the girls running ahead into the first field, with me close behind ,when I tripped in (what I am calling) a rabbit hole! When it was obvious I couldn’t get up “No problem,” I said to the girls, I have my mobile I’ll ring our friends to come and help us.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Of course that had to be the day I’d forgotten to charge my phone, though to be fair I could have forgotten the phone altogether, I often do!

We tried to get back to the car with me hopping and holding the girls’ shoulders but that didn’t work so back on the grass I waited while my granddaughters and the dog went back to the car to try to charge the phone.

Not wanting to just sit and wait I tried to crawl only to hear a voice calling “Are you alright?” as the call came a second time I think I did reply “No” and these people very kindly lent me their phone so that I could “phone a friend” who told me her husband was in the fields with their dog and she would get him to come and help us.

In the meantime these people, who I first must thank for the use of their phone, then co-opted another gentlemen to help carry me to my car.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

To these people I want to give a very big thank you because my younger granddaughter is only 7 and she was very frightened.

With the arrival of my friend and an immediate call for an ambulance, the staff of which I would also like to thank, the crisis was less of a drama or should that be the other way around!

I apologise to all those trying to get out of the car park that morning who were blocked by the ambulance but be assured it wasn’t for a twisted ankle, I managed to break 2 bones, one each side of my ankle and chip the bone at the back so as I write this I am still in hospital 8 days later following an operation to put in a plate and pins.

Am in plaster and waiting for the physios to teach me how to get about especially stairs!

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

So thank you again to all who helped, dog walkers and ambulance staff, unfortunately it is going to be a long time before I will be able to walk over the fields again.

Mary Dumbleton


Lower Earley


Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage at

2) Like our Facebook page at

3) Follow us on Twitter @Worthing_Herald

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

The Worthing Herald - always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.

Related topics: