Oven fire in Eastbourne sparks safety message

Fire and rescue
Fire and rescue

A safety message is being issued by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service following an oven fire in Eastbourne.

Two crews were sent to Upper Avenue, Upperton, at 1.28pm on Saturday afternoon (May 9), to tackle the small fire, which was out on arrival.

A Home Safety Visit was carried out following the incident.

A fire service spokesman said, “More than half of accidental fires in the home are started by cooking and many kitchen fires happen when people are not paying attention, or they leave things unattended.”

The service gave the following safety tips:

- Take pans off the heat or turn the heat down if you’re called away from the cooker, eg: by a phone call.

- Take care if you’re wearing loose clothing, as it can catch fire easily.

- Don’t cook if you have been drinking alcohol or take prescription drugs – you may get drowsy or lose concentration.

- Turn saucepans so the handles don’t stick out over the edge of the hob, or over another ring.

- Double-check that the cooker is off when you have finished cooking.

- Make sure tea-towels are not hanging over the cooker and don’t put oven gloves on top of a hot cooker.

- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean – built-up fat and bits of food can start a fire.

- Check that the toaster is clean and well away from curtains and empty the crumb tray regularly.

- Don’t fill a chip pan or other deep-fat fryer more than one-third full of oil.

- Use a thermostat-controlled deep-fat fryer, which will make sure the fat doesn’t get too hot.