Parents pay tribute to Newhaven boy swept away by the sea

Dyland Alkins
Dyland Alkins

The parents of missing 14-year-old Newhaven boy, Dylan Alkins, have today (Wednesday 30 October), paid tributes to their son.

The teenager was swept away whilst playing by the sea at West Beach during rough weather on Sunday October 27.

Emergency services including Newhaven Lifeboat, the Coastguard and Sussex Police conducted a six hour search for him on the day he disappeared.

Danny Alkins, Dylan’s father, said: “I would like to thank all the people that have been involved in this search for my son Dylan Alkins, RNLI, Coastguards and Sussex Police for everything they have done and are still doing.

“They have done a great job to the best of their ability, me and my family are extremely grateful.

“I would also like to thank friends and family for all their support and messages, love to you all.

“My son Dylan was an amazing boy, full of character, a very cheeky and loveable, talented young man.

“He will be sadly missed and never ever forgotten!

“To me it feels like I have lost half my life. Myself, his three younger brothers and stepmum are totally crushed by what has happened, it will never be the same for us.

“My boy was taken far too young. Heartbroken. I just want him back. I would appreciate me and my family need time to grieve in peace.”

Amy Kattenhorn, Dylan’s mother, added: “No words can describe how I am feeling at this devastating time. My first born son has been stolen from me and I am completely and utterly devastated by this tragic accident.

“I will hold on to Dylan forever in my heart and I have the best and amazing memories of him that nobody can ever take away from me. He was an amazing boy and will be sadly missed by all of his family and friends.

“I would be grateful if I could be left alone to grieve in peace at this difficult and heartbreaking time.

“Its not goodbye, its till we meet again.”

The search for Dylan has continued, including a further sweep of the coastline from Beachy Head to Peacehaven today (Wednesday October 30) by a police helicopter.