Peacehaven football fan reunited with the medics who saved his life

A football fan from Peacehaven who suffered a heart attack while watching his team was reunited with the people who saved his life.

Terry Albrighton, 64, was watching Brighton and Hove Albion play at the Amex Stadium in Falmer on Saturday February 9 but collapsed after the 1-0 win over Hull.

Brighton and Hove fan Terry Albrighton, from Peacehaven, who has recovered from a cardiac arrest. Meeting paramedics that saved him.

Brighton and Hove fan Terry Albrighton, from Peacehaven, who has recovered from a cardiac arrest. Meeting paramedics that saved him.

He will be officially welcomed on to the pitch at half time on Saturday April 20 when the Seagulls play Blackpool.

Terry said: “I’m so grateful for everything everyone did for me on the day and throughout my recovery.

“If it wasn’t for the whole medical team at the stadium, the people who stopped to help and the hospital staff, then the outcome could have been very different.

“I’d encourage everyone to learn some life-saving skills as you never know when you might need them.

“I’m now looking forward to cheering on the team hopefully to the playoffs and beyond.”

Life-long Albion fan Terry from Peacehaven, collapsed at the Seagull’s Amex stadium as he was leaving the ground after the team’s 1-0 win over Hull on Saturday 9 February.

When the stadium’s safety team was alerted to Terry’s collapse, South East Coast Ambulance Service clinicians, St John Ambulance and the club’s medical and stadium management teams sprang into action.

St John Ambulance crew, Rory Mercer and John Waters, were first on scene.

They saw Terry was in cardiac arrest and the pair immediately started cardiopulmonary resuscitation, (CPR).

SECAmb match paramedics Russell McCombie, Geraldine Chivers, Robin Scott and A&E consultant and crowd doctor at the Amex, Rob Galloway, soon joined them at the scene.

The team performed advanced life support and delivered three shocks to restart Terry’s heart.

Critical care paramedic Paul Windsor and emergency care support worker Garry Beck were next to arrive and cared for Terry while he was taken to Royal Sussex County Hospital in Brighton.

Terry underwent emergency treatment to be fitted with a stent and miraculously, later the same day, was awake and asking about the result of the match.

SECAmb paramedic Robin Scott said: “It was a real team effort and I’m delighted Terry has made such a good recovery.

“This emphasises the importance of early CPR which anyone can perform.

“I’m really looking forward to meeting with Terry again and wish him all the best for the future.”

St John Ambulance area manager Trevor Moss added: ‘This is a perfect demonstration of why knowing first aid is so important.

“It can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved. We provide a vital presence at thousands of events every year including here at the Amex.

“We’re just glad that we were able to come to Terry’s aid and wish him the best of health in the future.”