The cinema chain confirmed today (October 5) it will be closing 127 cinemas after struggling in the aftermath of the coronavirus pandemic.
It comes after the release of the new James Bond film was delayed again until next April – a massive blow to the cinema industry.
Cineworld chief executive Mooky Greidinger said it was not a decision that had been taken lightly.
He said, “We did everything in our power to support safe and sustainable reopenings in all of our markets.”
Around 5,500 jobs are said to be at risk.
The company has not confirmed when it plans to reopen its cinemas, though it is expected this won’t be until at least 2021.
The announcement will affect a number a cinemas across Sussex, including:
• Brighton Picturehouse
• Brighton Duke of York
• Brighton Komedia
• Crawley Cineworld
• Chichester Cineworld
• Eastbourne Cineworld