Extinction Rebellion Shoreham welcomes funding for new temporary cycle lane

News that funds have been approved for a new temporary cycle lane linking Shoreham with Brighton and Hove has been welcomed.

The bike swarm on Saturday. Photo contributed by John Reeves
The bike swarm on Saturday. Photo contributed by John Reeves

The scheme will see almost three miles of cycle lane created along the A270, connecting an existing lane in Portslade to the Holmbush roundabout, along Upper Shoreham Road and Old Shoreham Road to the Downs Link cycle path in west Shoreham.

The news was welcomed by Extinction Rebellion Shoreham-by-Sea, which has been organising socially distanced bike swarms every fortnight in order to highlight the need for more cycle lanes and maintain pressure on the council.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Its most recent event was held on Saturday.

The bike swarm on Saturday. Photo contributed by John Reeves

The group said the funding was ‘good news’ and said it hoped the council would ‘keep to its promises and complete the work within the given time limit’.

West Sussex county councillor Kevin Boram said he was ‘delighted’ the scheme had been approved.

“The route will be used by cyclists commuting to Brighton and local trips around Shoreham,” he said.

“It will also provide an important link to the Downs Link cycle route along the River Adur to Guildford.

The bike swarm on Saturday. Photo contributed by John Reeves

“The route is consistent with our long-term plan for improving walking and cycling facilities in Adur.

“I am now looking at how we can deliver other schemes in the plan and ensure Adur is a sustainable community for the future.”

Funds were also secured for a new route in Worthing on the A24 between the Grove Lodge roundabout area to the town centre.

Together, the schemes will cost £277,500, and there is the potential for parts of both routes to become permanent.

The bike swarm on Saturday. Photo contributed by John Reeves

Funds were granted for seven new schemes in West Sussex.

Roger Elkins, cabinet member for highways and infrastructure, said: “This is excellent news and a testament to the hard work put in by our highways and transport officers to produce a successful submission to a tight deadline.

“The schemes will provide improved travel choice for both residents and visitors and help to link commuting destinations in each of the county’s borough and district areas as the Government eases lockdown in the COVID-19 crisis.”

The funding is not guaranteed and may be clawed back should schemes not be started within four weeks of the allocation and completed with a further eight weeks.

The money is to fund the implementation, maintenance and monitoring of the schemes.

They will be closely monitored to ensure they are having a positive impact on local travel.

Further details of a second tranche of potential funding are expected from the Department for Transport soon and would be for both temporary and permanent improvements to help the transport network.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.