Hastings fishermen explain circumstances over RNLI lifeboat ‘blocking’

Watch more of our videos on Shots! 
and live on Freeview channel 276
Visit Shots! now
Hastings fishermen have denied any involvement with abuse reportedly shouted at Hastings RNLI lifeboat crew by people angry at them for rescuing refugees in the Channel.

Police confirmed a “disturbance” took place following claims the lifeboat was blocked from going out to sea by people on Hastings beach, near the harbour arm.

People reportedly shouted “horrible” abuse at the RNLI volunteer crew, according to a caller to James O’Brien’s LBC radio show on Thursday (November 25). Zoe, from Hastings, told the presenter she witnessed the group blocking the RNLI lifeboat and shouting, “don’t bring any more of those home, we’re full up, that’s why we stopped our donations, and that kind of really horrible stuff.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
File: Hastings Lifeboat Station/RNLI SUS-211123-135401001File: Hastings Lifeboat Station/RNLI SUS-211123-135401001
File: Hastings Lifeboat Station/RNLI SUS-211123-135401001

Paul Joy, chairman of the Hastings Fishermen’s Protection Society, said the abuse had nothing to do with Hastings fishermen. He said the lifeboat decided to launch on the east side of the harbour arm - rather than the west side where it normally launches - and found a fishing boat was already there. This escalated into a “row”, but he said this had nothing to do with refugees being rescued in the Channel - it was the way the lifeboat crew spoke to the fisherman involved. He said there was a lorry driver on the beach who “had words about immigrants” to the lifeboat crew, but nothing was said about refugees by the fisherman.

“The lifeboat was going out and the fisherman was carrying his fish down behind the boat. The lifeboat was launching from the east side of the harbour, and the fisherman’s boat was on the east side of the harbour and he was already there,” Mr Joy said. “The fisherman concerned was carrying his fish down to throw back in the sea - the small, undersized stuff which you should do, and the lifeboat man shouted out, screamed at him, ‘get out the way’, and he said, ‘who are you talking to?’ and that erupted into a row. But he was on his own, and the person who was having a go was a lorry driver.”

He said the RNLI called the police and the matter has now been sorted. “I actually did go to the lifeboat house and spoke to the police and everybody was okay, and the lifeboat agreed that they would speak more candidly to the fishermen...and treat them with a little bit of respect. That’s all they want - to be spoken to in the right way.”

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

A spokesperson for the RNLI told the Hastings Observer: “We can confirm an incident was reported to the police. The lifeboat was able to launch and the station remains on service.” Sussex Police said: “Just after 4pm on Saturday, November 20, police were made aware of reports of a disturbance near to the Hastings RNLI Lifeboat Station. A police officer attended the scene while also being supported by colleagues monitoring the situation on CCTV. No arrests were made.”

Lifejackets worn by the 40 people who arrived on Hastings beach earlier this monthLifejackets worn by the 40 people who arrived on Hastings beach earlier this month
Lifejackets worn by the 40 people who arrived on Hastings beach earlier this month

Zoe told James O’Brien’s LBC radio show she was on the beach, near the harbour arm, with her boyfriend on November 20, when they “heard the lifeboat station opening up and thought ‘oh they have a call’ and started watching.” She said as the “lifeboat crew pulled the boat out and were going to go into the water”, a group of people “stood directly in the line of the boat so the boat couldn’t be put in the water.”

“Are you sure?” O’Brien asked her.

“I’m absolutely sure, the police were called,” she replied. “It really shook me to the core and we thought of it yesterday night when we saw the news that people had passed away again.” (A reference to the 27 people who drowned crossing the Channel on November 24. They included seven women - one of whom was pregnant - and three children.)

On Thursday evening, an estimated 250 people gathered on the Stade in Hastings Old Town to hold a moving vigil for the 27 people who died when their boat capsized.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad

Last week, businesses and local people were thanked for helping 93 people who arrived on Hastings beach after being rescued by lifeboats in the Channel.

One group - 35 men and five teenage boys - spent two days at sea in a small dinghy before they were picked up by Hastings RNLI inshore lifeboat on November 16. RNLI crew helped them on to the shore near the harbour arm in Hastings Old Town. They were met by police stationed on the beach and later handed over to Border Force officials. Volunteers from Hastings Supports Refugees handed out hot drinks, food, warm clothing and blankets to the group - from Iran, Iraq, Yemen, Palestine and various African countries.

On November 11, local businesses helped 53 people who arrived on Hastings beach after being rescued by lifeboats in the Channel. The group - including several children - were handed over to Border Force officials. In total, 1,185 people crossed the Channel by boat to reach the UK on November 11, a new record for migrant crossings in a single day.

Hide Ad
Hide Ad
Related topics: