Airport bosses announced in March that 200 jobs were going in a bid to protect the business.
But staff say they were dismissed with no offer of the government’s ‘furlough’ package which would have seen their jobs retained.
A spokesman for the sacked workers said: “During these unprecedented and uncertain times, Gatwick Airport should be doing all they can to support their employees but are instead choosing to dismiss them and effectively leave them ‘out in the cold’ with minimal hope of securing further work during the coming months due to the current outbreak.”
Gatwick Airport announced last month that the fixed term contracts of 200 contractors had been terminated due to lower passenger numbers.
And since then a number of temporary staff contracts have been terminated and a ‘small number’ of back office staff have been made redundant.
A reduced working hours scheme has also been introduced and a voluntary severance programme is still ongoing.
A Gatwick spokesperson said: “To protect the jobs of our staff, a significant proportion of Gatwick employees will be put onto the Government’s Job Retention Scheme, which provides help to pay wages and thereby supporting the airport to retain staff so that they can return to work when the current coronavirus crisis has ended.
“The scheme will last for a period of one month initially, but the length of time will be kept under constant review.
“This is in line with the reduced operations for the airport we announced on Friday March 27.
“The remainder of staff will continue to work reduced hours, many from home with others working on the airport to ensure it remains safe, secure and operational and can return to normal as quickly as possible.”
A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:
Thank you for reading this story on our website.
But I also have an urgent plea to make of you.
In order for us to continue to provide high quality local news on this free-to-read site and in print, please purchase a copy of our newspaper as well. With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on our town centres and many of our valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you buying a copy.
Our journalists are highly trained by the National Council for the Training of Journalists (NCTJ) and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards anywhere in the world. Our content is universally trusted - as all independent research proves.
As Baroness Barran said in a House of Lords debate this week on the importance of journalists: “Not only are they a trusted source of facts, but they will have a role to play in rallying communities and getting the message across about how we can keep ourselves and our families safe, and protect our NHS. Undoubtedly, they have a critical role.”
But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis. In return we will continue to forensically cover the local news - not only the impact of the virus but all the positive and uplifting news happening in these dark days.
In addition, please write to your MP urging the Government to provide some additional financial support for local newspapers and their websites like this one and ensuring that supermarkets continue to stock them. I cannot stress enough how important such an intervention would be.
We thank all our readers and advertisers for their understanding and support - and we wish YOU all the best in the coming weeks. Keep safe, and follow the Government advice. Thank you.