Travellers' caravans leave Worthing field

Travellers’ caravans and motorhomes have left a site in Worthing.

The caravans arrived and set up camp at Goring Gap, Marine Drive on Friday, May 24.

The group of travellers left on Sunday, June 9, according to West Sussex County Council. A spokesperson added: “Police and Worthing Borough Council are aware.”

Nine caravans were parked at Goring Gap. All were served with a notice requiring them to vacate the land.

"Should they fail to do so, court proceedings will commence,” a council statement read. “We will continue to monitor the site together with Sussex Police.”

A spokesperson for Sussex Police said: “Police were made aware of an unauthorised encampment at Goring Gap, Marine Drive, Goring on Friday (May 24).

“We are working closely with West Sussex County Council (WSCC) to monitor and resolve the situation.

“The public are encouraged to report any crime or suspicious activity to us online or by calling 101. Always call 999 in an emergency.”

Worthing Borough Council also issued a statement.

This read: “We are aware that members of the travelling community are currently located at Goring Gap.

“As is our customary practice, we have left the public toilets unlocked and provided extra bins to keep the area clean. We are regularly checking the site to minimise the impact on residents living nearby.

“West Sussex County Council is the lead authority and, along with Sussex Police, will continue to monitor the site in the coming days.

“If there are any issues with anti-social behaviour then this should be reported to Sussex Police by calling 101.”

Who are Gypsies and travellers?​

Gypsies and travellers travel the country as part of a nomadic way of life.

As with any other individual, all gypsies and travellers have rights under the 1998 Human Rights Act.

Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are also protected against discrimination on the basis of their ethnic origins under the 2010 Equalities Act.

In 2014, Amnesty International estimated there were 200,000-300,000 Gypsy and Irish Travellers in the UK.

What is an unauthorised encampment?

This is when a group of people with vehicles trespass on land with the plan to reside there without the owner’s consent. This is a civil matter not a criminal offence.

What must the council do?

The council will check to see how tidy the site is, how much it is disrupting local residents and businesses, and whether it is obstructing highways or public rights of way.

The council must also check the general health and welfare of the group and the children’s education.

Usually the council will try to negotiate a leaving date with the travellers rather than having to go down the more costly court route.

However, if this is not possible, the council must follow a set procedure which involves proving ownership of the land, giving details of the illegal encampment, and then serving notices and summonses in order to successfully obtain a court order to evict the travellers from the site.

What can you do if they are on private land?

If they are camped on private land without the landowner’s permission it is the landowner’s responsibility to prevent it and evict them. This can be done by asking them to leave and by starting court proceedings.

What can the police do?

Police will visit sites reported to them and if there are six or more vehicles, officers can use powers under section 61 of the Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994.

They will take action if criminal activity, public disorder or disruption to the local community can be established.