Peter Bailey took this photograph using a box camera in the latter part of the 1930s. He was standing on the West Pier opposite The Hope Inn as the PS Brighton Queen came storming in for a night’s rest.
She would have dropped her the passengers at the Palace Pier which explains why the decks are deserted.The White funnel fleet was well known for its smart appearance and care of passengers.
An example of this care was that the crew were requested to wear the likes of plimsolls, so as not to disturb the peace of the passengers, when they were going about their duties.
The ship was built in Clydebank in 1905 and originally named the Gwalia. She spent much of her life working in the Bristol Channel with a brief period in Barrow where she was renamed PS Lady Moyra after the wife of one of the directors of the Furness Railway Company.
After minesweeping duties during WWI she again returned to that familiar West Country run, this time under the ownership of the Tucker “Yellow Funnel” Fleet.
She was purchased by P and A Campbell at auction in July 1922 and ran for the White Funnel fleet from 1923 becoming the PS Brighton Queen (II) in 1933 when she moved to the south coast.
This lovely pleasure ship stayed down with us until the start of WWII. She then took part in the Dunkirk evacuation. Her first trip was successful but she was bombed on her second, on June 1, 1940 had been carrying over 700 troops, many of whom were lost with her.