Pevensey Bay couple saved from house fire by their dog

A couple from Pevensey Bay were woken up by their dog to a fire which destroyed their house this week.

Thursday, 6th May 2021, 10:21 am

At 3.11am on May 4 crews attended a fire at a residential property in Maresfield Drive.

The fire started in a garden shed and spread to a neighbouring shed. Due to high winds, the fire was pushed towards two residential properties which in turn became involved in the fire, crews said.

Bob and Val Trinder, the owners of the neighbouring property to where the fire started, were woken in the night by their husky dog Miya.

Miya saved her owners from a house fire SUS-210605-091749001

Speaking on behalf of the couple, Sue Jenkins, a neighbour, said Bob got out of bed when Miya woke him and found the house was filling with smoke.

Sue said, “Within two minutes the house was full of smoke. It melted their greenhouse. The whole house is gone.

“They are heartbroken. They’ve lost everything.”

Sue said Bob and Val will now be staying with their daughters for the foreseeable future.

Photo by Dan Jessup SUS-210405-111122001

Miya was at the vets on May 5 with a cough from suspected smoke inhalation.

Sue has set up a funding page and leaflets are circulating to support the couple. Edinburgh Woollen Mill has already donated clothes and Castle Inn in Pevensey Bay is collecting clothes and shoes for the couple.

To support the funding page, go to: https://gofund.me/c6276a4e

Photo by Dan Jessup SUS-210405-111148001
Photo by Dan Jessup SUS-210405-111134001