Lorna Haynes, of Worthing Road, Littlehampton, said the buildings were becoming much taller than the original plans she was consulted on suggested and felt the developers were ‘riding roughshod’ over her and her neighbours.
She said: “I live and let live. I never said I was against buildings there.
“But now I see what they are presenting – which isn’t what I understood it would be at the time – I’m very upset, because they will completely block my south view and take out the light.”
When the developers held public consultations during the planning application process a couple of years ago, Lorna was under the impression they would lay the foundations into the ground. But she said the reality was quite different, as the footings were being built above ground level because it was formerly landfill, she believed.
“It is very invasive,” she said. “The footings are more or less level with the top of my summer house and the six foot fence at the bottom of my garden,” she said.
“I can stand at my kitchen sink and I can see the men working on them.
“I will be completely and utterly overlooked.”
Planning application was granted for 59 houses and 18 flats on the former caravan site on April 10 last year, and work began in late autumn.
Lorna said she went over and complained to staff almost a month ago, and has not received a response. She has since made an official complaint.
A Thakeham spokesman said it was ‘continuing to deliver affordable homes at the site in accordance with the granted planning permission’. But an Arun District Council spokesman said the matter was ‘currently under investigation’ and so could not comment further.