Littlehampton Wave sculpture: councillor’s asbestos concerns about controversial statue

Safety concerns have been raised about a controversial sculpture planned outside the Littlehampton Wave.

An application by Arun District Council to build a four-metre high timber statue to mark the entrance of the leisure centre in Sea Road, Littlehampton, was met with criticism by the public, with many people comparing the wave design to pound signs.

Read more:

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

The proposed design of the sculpture

But now, Conservative councillor Mike Clayden, the former cabinet member for community wellbeing before the Tories were defeated at the local elections in 2019, has spoken out about the safety of the proposal.

Plans suggested using timber from the previous leisure centre to make the statue.

In a freedom of information request to Arun, the ward councillor for Angmering and Findon said: “I was the cabinet member in the last administration that signed off the demolition of the old centre and removal of all materials for safe disposal.

“This decision must have been overturned to allow parts of the centre used for this sculpture.

“I also would like to see the asbestos certificate for the wood confirming it was safe to remove from site.”

Speaking to the Gazette, he said he ‘wanted to make sure no-one had been put at risk by being exposed to asbestos’.

Arun District Council has until August 6 to respond to his request.