Preparations underway to reopen rubbish tips in East Sussex

Preparations are underway to reopen rubbish tips in East Sussex, the county council has confirmed.

East Sussex household waste recycling sites were closed last month
East Sussex household waste recycling sites were closed last month

The news comes following an announcement from local government secretary Robert Jenrick that he would be asking councils to organise the reopening of household waste recycling sites over the next few weeks.

It is understood that tips would be expected to reopen with social distancing rules in place, such as pre-booked appointments, while the coronavirus lockdown continues.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Responding to a question in the House of Commons on Tuesday (April 28), Mr Jenrick said: “The government published advice to councils on how to ensure the safety of refuse collections on April 7.

“Today I am announcing that I am asking councils to plan the organised reopening of household waste collection sites. 

“I expect this to happen over the coming weeks, and I will be publishing amended guidance shortly.”

While it has not yet given a date for tips to reopen, East Sussex County Council says preparations had already begun prior to Mr Jenrick’s announcement.

An East Sussex County Council spokesman said: “We closed our 10 waste sites across the county to protect the public and our staff in line with government guidelines on social distancing. 

“Prior to the announcement by local government secretary Robert Jenrick we had already started to make preparations for the eventual reopening of the sites, such as considering how best to manage high demand and ensure social distancing. 

“We continue to work on these plans with partners and await the updated government guidance.”

Until the tips reopen, the council is asking residents to store bulky items – such as furniture, clothing and electrical items – until it is able to reopen the sites.

Residents are also asked to avoid creating additional waste through DIY projects unless they can store items until the tips reopen.

The council also says residents should not burn waste either, as it ‘poses serious safety risks to you and your neighbours with respiratory health issues’.

A message from the Editor, Gary Shipton:

In order for us to continue to provide high quality and trusted local news, I am asking you to please purchase a copy of our newspapers.

With the coronavirus lockdown having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers - and consequently the advertising that we receive - we are more reliant than ever on you helping us to provide you with news and information by buying a copy of our newspapers.

Our journalists are highly trained and our content is independently regulated by IPSO to some of the most rigorous standards in the world. But being your eyes and ears comes at a price. So we need your support more than ever to buy our newspapers during this crisis.

Stay safe, and best wishes.