Reduced opening hours to come into force at Seaford tip

Seaford tip
Seaford tip

Seaford’s Lib Dem MP Norman Baker and Councillor Carolyn Lambert has condemned East Sussex County Council’s decision to close Seaford tip for four days a week.

Councillor Carolyn Lambert pointing out plans to close the tip were previously met with stiff opposition, while the MP said cutting the hours of operation was unnecessary.

But East Sussex County Council argued it had to save money and that reduced opening hour at the tip would help it to achieve those savings.

Mr Baker said: “Whether it’s ignoring public opinion on the waste tip or the incinerator before that, the Tories show time and again that they don’t care about how people in Seaford feel.

“This reduction in hours for the amenity site is completely unnecessary.”

Councillor Lambert added: “The County Council’s proposal to close the waste tip met with almost universal disagreement and huge protest from the residents of Seaford.

The campaign group worked extremely hard to show that as the biggest town in the District, Seaford needs and deserves to have its waste site kept open.

“The County Council claims that it is saving money by this closure but Liberal Democrat budget proposals made earlier in the year identified funding to keep the waste site open and still meet the necessary overall budget reductions.

“The Conservative administration refused to even consider these proposals.”

“I will continue to work with the campaign group and will be asking for details of the savings the County Council claims to have made.”

The county council said changes to the opening hours of three household waste and recycling sites in East Sussex were due to come into effect.

Facilities in Forest Row, Wadhurst and Seaford will open three days a week from October 6, 2014.

All three sites will open Fridays and Saturdays from 8am and 4pm and Sundays between 9am and 4pm.

They will be closed from Mondays to Thursdays.

The changes follow a public consultation last year on the East Sussex Waste Strategy, which included proposals for the full closure of the facilities.

Feedback from residents led the county council’s cabinet to agree alternative proposals for reduced opening hours.

Cllr Carl Maynard said: “As with every authority in the country, we are having to make difficult decisions to achieve necessary savings.

“Closing these three sites for four days a week will go some way to help us achieve these savings.

“We listened carefully to the concerns and points raised by members of the public during an extensive consultation and, in response to that feedback, agreed to the alternative plan to keep the three sites open.

“By reducing the opening hours, we have been able to balance the requirement to make savings with local need for services.”

With two thirds of visits to the three sites taking place on Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays, the majority of residents will be unaffected by the changes.

Those needing to use the facilities on the remaining four days can use any of the other nine household waste recycling sites within East Sussex. Alternative sites are available within a 10 to 20 minutes’ drive.