Rescued hedgehogs released across Sussex

More than 30 hedgehogs were put back into the wild across Sussex after being looking after over the winter.

Dracula the hedgehog was released in Stone Cross by East Sussex Wildlfie Rescue and Ambulance Service cQo5u_Bfm3O70ZecnAzQ
Dracula the hedgehog was released in Stone Cross by East Sussex Wildlfie Rescue and Ambulance Service cQo5u_Bfm3O70ZecnAzQ

East Sussex Wildlife Rescue and Ambulance Service (WRAS) released 33 hedgehogs all over Wealden district and Eastbourne out of the 96 the service took over the winter.

“A big thank you to everyone who has been helping with them especially Kathy who has been co-ordinating it all, as well as looking after 40 of them from home herself,” WRAS founder Trevor Weeks said.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

Hedgehogs Kringle, Danish and Bangalore all went home to Wivelsfield Green.

The mallard saved in Hurst Green after being hit by a car

Up the road, Bindi, Balti, Tikka, Korma and Biryani were returned to South Chailey as well as Sandy, Mahout and Chips back to Burgess Hill.

In Eastbourne, WRAS returned Medusa, Fungus, Yuletide, Jack, Beanstalk and Samosa.

Darth Vader and Luke Skywalker were returned to their Heathfield home.

Ariel and Hamlet were freed in Lewes along with Maharaja and Sonic in Ditchling.

In Seaford WRAS managed to return Herbert and Spice and BB8 were released together as they were found in the same garden.

Just up the road at South Heighton, Pakora, Mangalore and Wookie were freed in Uckfield plus Dracula at Stone Cross, Satsuma in Rodmel, Delhi in Polegate and Rizzo in Newhaven.

If you want to find out more about hedgehogs visit Jollyes Pet Food Store in Hailsham with WRAS’ Hedgehog Education Trailer between 10am and 4pm from Sunday, May 1, to Tuesday, May 3, as part of Hedgehog Awareness Week.

The WRAS orphan team has been kept busy again this week.

Rescuer Kai and Gemma rescued a very small baby robin in Timberly Road, Ridgewood.

He was warmed up and given fluids at the hospital by Rescuer Coordinator Chris Riddington before being taken to Orphan Rearing Leader Lindsay for overnight care.

A little blackbird has come in from Downland Copse in Uckfield that was found in the middle of the road but picked up by some kind-hearted passer-by. WRAS’ assistant manager Katie Nunn-Nash took him home for the night to rehydrate and warm him up.

The rescuers had a heartbreaking evening as they received a call at around 7pm to a fox cub found at Holywell, Eastbourne.

Rescuer manager Chris collected the youngster and started heading to the centre to meet me for further assessment.

On the way, the cub took a sudden turn for the worse and the team pulled over at the roadside to provide emergency first aid.

The cub was then rushed straight to our vet Mike who assessed him and gave further treatment.

Fearing a head trauma, the vet stabilised the cub and he was taken back to our centre for further care.

Sadly not long after, the cub started coughing up blood and rapidly going down hill.

The vet was called again and after nearly three hours of trying to save the cub he was sadly put to sleep.

“Thank you to our vet and care team for trying so hard and the caller for getting him to us so quick,” Trevor said.

Other calls the WRAS ambulances dealt with this week included a couple of jackdaws trapped in wood burning stove at Woodmancote.

It was late at night and outside WRAS’ area but there are very few 24-hour rescue services in the south east and the lady was desperate for help, according to Trevor.

Another late night call saw Kathy and Trevor attend a road casualty mallard at Hurst Green.

The finders volunteer for South Essex Wildlife Hospital and could not find anyone closer to help so after seeking an appeal for help on Facebook, WRAS attended.