East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service responded to two chimney fires in Crowborough and Firle yesterday (Monday, March 7).
At 5pm, one appliance from Crowborough was mobilised to Rochester Way, Crowborough, after reports of a chimney fire.
Crews used a chimney kit to extinguish the fire. A home safety visit was provided to residents before firefighters left the scene at 5.56pm.
At 9.37pm, one appliance from Lewes was mobilised to Loovers Lane, Firle, after reports of a chimney fire.
Crews used a chimney kit to extinguish the fire. Firefighters left the scene at 11pm.
Advice from ESFRS is to make sure your chimney is swept at the beginning of the season by a professional chimney sweep. If you are burning wood, the advice is to sweep your chimney twice a year. If you are burning coal, sweep your chimney once a year.
Use seasoned wood, which isn’t too wet and always use a fire guard where appropriate.
Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.
Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.
1) Make our website your homepage at www.sussexexpress.co.uk/
2) Like our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pages/Sussex-Express/
3) Follow us on Twitter @sussex_express
4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.
And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!
The Sussex Express - always the first with your local news.
Be part of it.