In last week’s Observer, it was reported that the traders’ market will be introduced in North and East Street every Wednesday, while the existing market will continue to operate in the Cattle Market car park every Saturday.
However, some shoppers have come forward calling for a wider meeting with the district council and the traders, following concerns that many of the smaller details have not been properly discussed.
Valerie Briginshaw, a regular shopper at the market, said: “My main concern is that we might lose the market completely in the end – I have lived here for 30 years and would hate to see it go.
“I fear that this move to the precinct may not be the best for all of the traders – it’s current location is the most convenient for parking and especially for disabled access.
“If it is moved into the city we would lose the market as we know it.”
Another shopper, Helen Cato, discussed how many of the traders were not given enough information about the move to the city centre, with some upgrading to larger stands which they now cannot fit into the new designated streets.
Mrs Cato added: “I asked the traders how the planned move was going and, despite wanting to move because it will mean more business for them, it turned out they weren’t receiving enough information.
“I think this shows a huge lack of respect for the traders.”
The group of shoppers believe for the new market site to function, thought needs to be given to the smaller details such as stall set-up and take-down times, parking for lorries, means of replenishing stalls and what kind of vehicles or trailers will be allowed for those stallholders who cannot trade from a standard gazebo.
Chichester city councillor Sarah Sharp said: “This is people’s livelihoods we are talking about, we need to support them.
“Change can be good but it needs to take into account the years of service these people have given us.
“They have served us, we need to look after them like they look after us.”