Sick Mum given just weeks to live sees son marry

THE FAMILY of a Seaford mum suffering from a rare form of brain cancer want to thank hotel staff for helping her dream come true - seeing her son marry after she was given just weeks to live.

Paulette Michael, 68, from Seaford was diagnosed with untreatable Primary Cerebral Lymphomas – a rare form of cancer in August this year. She was given just days and then weeks to live after doctors found four tumours in her brain.

Her younger son Nathan, 31, had been planning to wed fiancée Karen Murray, 29, in a couple of years time - but Paulette said it would be her dream to get to see him marry.

Eager to grant his mum’s final wish, Nathan and Karen, who live in Purley and have a five-month-old son, set about organising their wedding in just two weeks – commuting down to Seaford and managing to find a dress, venue, flowers, photographer, cake, suits and rings.

Paulette’s daughter Rowan, 36, said: “They were meant to be on a four star holiday in Greece, they set about finding a dress, booking a venue, getting flowers, a photographer, a cake and suits and rings! My brother wanted a church wedding but unfortunately the church didn’t seem to understand the urgency of the situation. They then thought about having the ceremony and reception at the Grand in Eastbourne. The wedding was only to be for 24 people as it was such short notice. For the first week my sister-in-law couldn’t book anything as the registrar would not waive the 14 day wait period even though my brother acquired a letter from the hospice. “Eventually a waiver was given and the wedding took place last Thursday September 15. The Grand Hotel made this day so special, the staff were exceptional. Having worked at Marriott Hotels I am experienced in hotel service and their service was without fault. The day went without a hitch and provided the last large family occasion that our family will experience with our mother. I cannot thank them enough.”

Rowan said it had been a horrible shock to hear her mum had cancer after doctors originally failed to spot the tumours.

She said: “We were told that she may have had a stroke at one stage and also that it was a mental breakdown on another occasion. When we took her into emergency room at the beginning of August we were told that she should take two paracetamol as she didn’t need an urgent brain scan. Eventually fed up with being fobbed off by the doctors we told them we would go for a private brain scan. They then agreed to the CT scan and couldn’t apologise enough whilst they told us our mother had in fact got four brain tumours.

“I am living in Plymouth with my husband. I have spent time with my mother to help give my sister respite who lives in Seaford and sees my mother every day. I have another brother who has downs syndrome and doesn’t know the full extent of the situation. We also have my grandmother who is my mums mother. “My sister, myself and my brother had holidays booked in August but had to give them away and in my case let my husband take my children without me. After all the fighting we had done for our mother and stress we had all gone through and are still experiencing, it was lovely to have this beautiful day.”