SOUTHOVER Grange in Lewes was formerly known as Southover House or Southover Priory.
It was built by William Newton in 1572.
Today the beautiful gardens, divided by the Winterbourne stream, are popular with office workers, students and residents.
Princess Elizabeth, now Queen Elizabeth II, visited Southover Grange in 1951.
Her visit is commemorated by an inscribed stone at the base of the tulip tree on the cross path at the end of the main lawn.
Look out for the ancient mulberry tree and magnificent magnolia.
Above the archway in the side of the wall facing west is a carved stone boss, from the ruins of Lewes Priory. Each season the formal beds are planted to produce a mass of colour.
A new addition to the gardens is a wildflower area with the planting of primroses, cowslips and wild strawberries.
A knot garden was opened by Lady Baker in 2004 on the site of the old council plant nurseries within the Southover Grange Gardens.