The Hearth in Lewes to open for business after fire

Michael Hanson
Michael Hanson
  • Pizza place plans special celebration for opening night

A pizza restaurant in Lewes which has been closed since the end of January following a fire will open its doors to customers on Friday March 20.

Staff have been hard at work refurbishing The Hearth above Lewes Bus Station since the fire caused smoke damage.

The opening night is planned as a celebration and will give staff the chance to say thank you to everyone who supported the restaurant during this difficult time.

The Hearth owner Michael Hanson said: “I’m both really excited and relieved to have got to the end of what’s seemed like a long road.

“At times it’s felt like we’d never get to the end of it. Luckily the rest of the team have been really supportive and worked incredibly hard to get everything back in order.

“The opening night is a chance to say thank you to everyone for their support.

“On the night there’ll be live music, limitless pizza, a free drink, fun and laughter.

“Plus three lucky ticket holders will get the chance to win free pizzas for either a year, six months or three months.

“The redecoration has allowed us to freshen everything up, whilst staying true to the relaxed, and welcoming atmosphere we look to create.”

Tickets for the opening night cost £10 and are available from The Hearth Bakehouse, and Harvey & Sons Brewery Shop.

Mr Hanson said they had been inundated with cards, presents and offers of help since the blaze on January 30.

The bakery which occupies the downstairs unit at Lewes Bus Station in East Street contiued to trade after thefire and a pop up restaurant was soon set up in the waiting room area of the Bus Station in Eastgate Street.

Head baker Tamás Kerékgyártó arrived to open up the Bakehouse at 7.30am on Friday January 30, but smelt smoke and went upstairs to investigate.

He found the kitchen and restaurant full of smoke, and immediately called East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service which put the fire out.

The blaze destroyed the oven surround and resulted in significant damage to the kitchen, as well as smoke damage to the restaurant area.

Two crews from Barcombe and Lewes helped, after entering the building wearing breathing apparatus and extinguishing the kitchen fire with one hose reel.

No one was hurt in the blaze.

A fire investigation was carried out by East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service.

For more information about tickets for the event visit www.thehearth.co, email smile@thehearth.co or call 01273 470755.