Three mushrooms spark fire alert in Worthing

THREE mushrooms in a frying pan were at fault for a fire alert in Wallace Avenue, Worthing on Wednesday night (September 25).

Fire crews were called to the scene at 9pm, where they found a smoke-logged flat, caused by the cooking.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

A pensioner, believed to be the resident of the property, was unharmed.

Two fire engines from Worthing Fire Station were called to the scene, and firefighters with breathing apparatus dealt with the smoke, which had spread to the adjoining flats.