Here’s how the incident unfolded:
A27 reopens near Chichester after overturned delivery van closed road for nearly 12 hours
Last updated: Friday, 09 October, 2020, 18:13
- A lorry overturned on the A27 near Chichester in the early hours of this morning - police officers called at 5.40am.
- The lorry driver — a 62-year-old man — suffered a serious injury and has been taken to hospital for treatment. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening or life-changing.
- A car driver — a 50-year-old woman — suffered minor injuries after being involved in a collision with the overturned HGV.
- The lorry contained ‘hundreds of Amazon parcels’.
- The road is currently closed in both directions and disruption is expected for a number of hours.
A27 closed near Chichester
A major crash has closed the A27 near Chichester this morning.
The collision, involving an HGV and a car, happened between Fishbourne and Warblington, the fire service said.
Crews from Chichester, Bognor, Hampshire, Havant and Cosham have attended along with paramedics and police officers.
We will bring you live updates on this incident, with the road expected to be closed for most of the day.
Lorry driver seriously injured
A lorry driver — a 62-year-old man — suffered a serious injury and has been taken to hospital for treatment. His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening or life-changing.
West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said the HGV driver was freed by firefighters 'using small tools'.
The driver of the other vehicle self-released prior to the arrival of fire crews.
Crews are now working to ‘contain a diesel leak using environmental packs’.
A 62-year-old man has suffered a serious injury after a lorry overturned on the A27 near Chichester in the early hours of this morning (Friday, October 9).
‘Please plan ahead’
Pictures from the scene
These pictures show the scene after an HGV rolled in a crash, shutting the A27 both ways.
Lorry contained ‘hundreds of Amazon parcels'
‘Avoid the area’
The fire service is urging drivers are urged to avoid the area, as the parallel A259 between Warblington and Chichester is 'exceptionally busy’.
Statement from South East Coast Ambulance Service:
An ambulance service spokesperson said: "I can confirm we were called shortly before 6am today to reports of an RTC on the A27 near Emsworth involving a lorry.
“Ambulance crews attended the scene and two patients were assessed and treated before being taken to hospital. One patient was taken to St Richard’s Hospital and the second was taken to Southampton General.”
Watch video footage from the scene:
Two people were taken to hospital after a major crash on the A27 near Chichester this morning (Friday, October 9).