Allan Carter was due to take the course on November 9, but found out on Friday that it had been postponed indefinitely because of the pandemic.
Now, the 75-year-old of Jays Close, Wick, has to take a £100 fine and three points on his licence or go to court – and said both options could push up his car insurance to the point he would have to give up driving.
He said: “I feel it is unjust. I understand they have to because of the virus, but why should I suffer because they cancelled the course?”
On June 5, Allan was at Croydon University Hospital in London for an MRI scan following a brain bleed he had last year.
He claimed the person who went in before him died, and ‘spooked’ by the incident he decided to drive home.
“I just wanted to get home after what I had seen,” he said.
While in Preston Road, Brighton, next to Preston Park, Allan was caught by a speed camera doing 39mph in a 30mph zone.
When Allan got the letter from Sussex Police, he opted for the course over points and a fine, because his car insurance is currently £500 a year and he said he struggles to pay for it already.
He has since contacted Sussex Police asking for permission to sit the course later than the timeframe they set out – but they refused.
The type-2 diabetic, who gets his leg dressings changed weekly at The Park Surgery in St. Floras Road, Littlehampton, said he would need nurses and doctors to visit him at home if he could not drive any more.
The retired taxi driver said: “I have a licence that doesn’t have a mark on it for 50 years, and for nine miles I could be a burden on the NHS.”
Sussex Police and the Sussex Safer Roads Partnership were both approached for comment but have not responded.