TREVOR WEEKS MBE - Use of minibus donated for Three Peaks fundraiser

Trevor Weeks June 7
Trevor Weeks June 7

We have had a wild week, which included me spending another night down on Seaford Beach watching over Trevor the seal.

He then decided to move to Brighton Marina and then on to Selsey and Pagham Harbour. His moult is quite far through now and every day you can see significant changes. He is also getting livelier as his lethargy subsides.

Our orphan rearing team have been working hard this week feeding our blackbirds, robins, dunnocks, crows, as well as an array of young pigeons and doves.

Joining them this week has also been an amazing young tawny owl. He was found in a garden away from any trees at Chiddingly.

He was also very underweight and at first there were concerns about his eye sight but at such a young age their sight is not brilliant anyway. We have also had a lone pheasant chick come in. We don’t have any others for it to go with so will probably have to pass this one over to another rescue centre as they always do better in groups learning off each other.

Thank you to Euro Self Drive of Westham who have very kindly donated the use of a minibus to support fundraiser Karen Breese and nine friends undertaking the Three Peaks Challenge at the end of June in aid of East Sussex WRAS.

Please support them by donating at Also please support our sponsors by visiting

We have had two young jackdaws come in after falling down a chimney in Hailsham. They are too young to be released and clearly the nest in the chimney was not strong enough to hold them.

This nest of Woodpeckers came in for care after a piece of woodland was cleared and their nest destroyed. Thankfully one of the workers took pity on them and picked them up and called us for help.

There was no way of putting them back or leaving them safely so they have now come in for care too. There are five of them and they have been a bundle of joy at the centre making everyone smile. The orphan team have also been reading an amazing nest of tits too.

Please, please, please check the undergrowth and long grass before mowing and strimming your garden. I know we mentioned this only a few weeks ago but we have had yet another injured hedgehog come in for care as a result of such an injury.

This little female hedgehog came in with the end of her nose removed. Amazingly the injury was not fresh and she is still able to breath. She is only 271grams and thought to be one of this year’s early babies. What a start to life for this poor little girl.

We were called out to what was thought to be an injured starling at Mount Street in Lewes too, and rescuer Robert was joined by a number of residents trying to catch the poor bird. Back at the Casualty Centre the bird was checked over and found not to be injured but just in a dangerous location and at risk of being run over. The bird was just a fledgling and learning to fly so was returned back to the gardens at the rear of the houses where it would be safe.

There have also been calls this week to a young tawny owl near the Blue Bell Railway. The bird was just skin and bones and, despite our best efforts, we were not able to save the poor bird.

We also had an injured bat in Uckfield with a damaged jaw; road casualty gulls in Hailsham, Eastbourne and Seaford; a young catted attacked sparrow in Eastbourne; as well as a fledgling blackbird, a young great tit in Hampden Park, and an injured pigeon in Polegate to name just a few.

The stragglers of our overwintered hedgehogs have headed home in the last week, miracle hog Nemo who no one thought would survive, went first, followed by Rubble and Tweety Pie returning to Stone Cross and East Hoathly. Zebedee is returned to Langney too. Hedgehog Adam Ant was returned back to his garden in Lewes last week. He woke in the wild from hibernation with a heavy parasite problem, Snapdragon has been returned home to Eastbourne having been found with a very upset tummy in a garden a few weeks ago. Kathy has taken hedgehog Gnasty home to finish her rehabilitation in an outside pen; she came in with mange, coccidia, lungworm and a severely infected missing back leg. She is doing great now and a bit of fresh air on her back will get her nicely ready to go home in a couple of weeks. Crocus and Mr Grumps, two hogs from the same garden on the same night in Hailsham are almost ready to go home having come in two weeks ago. Crocus originally came in suffering from a nasty head wound which has healed fast and Mr Grumps had infected wounds on both front feet.

Chesney who had an operation after coming in with a severe leg fracture will also be going home next week. We are seeing a lot of hedgehogs coming in very emaciated and dehydrated so please ensure you have plenty of fresh water in your garden.