VIDEO: Car fire closes Worthing road

A car fire has caused one lane of a Worthing road to be closed.

The car after the blaze was put out
The car after the blaze was put out

Teville Road has been partially shut while a crew attended.

Martin Cooper, from Horsham, was driving on the way to see a friend when he saw smoke coming out the front of his car.

Sign up to our daily SussexWorld Today newsletter

“There was smoke everywhere, I could hardly see anything,” he said.

The car after the blaze was put out

The 65-year-old, who has recently retired, said he managed to stop on the side of the road.

The front of the car had caught fire and he called the fire service, who put out the flames.

He believes the fire was caused by overheating.

Mr Cooper was the only person in the car and was not hurt.

The car after the blaze was put out

He said he was not frightened by the incident and said: “These things happen.”

A spokesperson for West Sussex Fire and Rescue Service said they were called to Teville Road at 9.13am.

Two crew members wore breathing apparatus to put the blaze out, the spokesperson said.

They left the scene at 9.43am.

The lane remains closed.

Don’t miss out on all the latest breaking news where you live.

Here are four ways you can be sure you’ll be amongst the first to know what’s going on.

1) Make our website your homepage

2) Like our Facebook page

3) Follow us on Twitter

4) Register with us by clicking on ‘sign in’ (top right corner). You can then receive our daily newsletter AND add your point of view to stories that you read here.

And do share with your family and friends - so they don’t miss out!

Always the first with your local news.

Be part of it.