Video: Dramatic rescue as walkers stuck in mud near Lewes

Emergency services were involved in a dramatic rescue when walkers became trapped in mud on Thursday last week.

East Sussex Fire and Rescue Service was alerted at 2.17pm when reports came in that two people were in difficulties south of Lewes.

Emergency services called to Iford to rescue walkers stuck in mud.

Emergency services called to Iford to rescue walkers stuck in mud.

A fire engine and a Technical Rescue Unit with specialist equipment from Lewes, along with the Water Rescue Team from Crowborough, responded.

Crews found one woman trapped knee deep in mud in the middle of a field between Iford and Northease. Another woman was stuck ankle deep and a man who had made his way over to offer help had also fallen victim to the ooze.

The ground surface had been treacherous and swamp-like after the recent heavy rainstorms.

The Lewes technical rescue team swung into action. They initially used inflatable mud rescue paths with crews in dry suits to release the walker trapped up to her knees. She was extremely cold by this point.

Crews released her feet using specialist equipment. She was then transferred to an area of more solid ground before being escorted to a waiting ambulance.

A combined rescue effort involving both Lewes and Crowborough crews, along with the support of the Hazardous Area Response Team (HART) from South East Coast Ambulance, was then undertaken to rescue the remaining people from the field. They were then taken to a safe area and given a precautionary check over by the ambulance service.

Watch Manager Dave Washington said: “The rescue was completed within 45 minutes and is an excellent example of emergency services working together to achieve successful outcomes. Well done to everyone involved.”

A Sussex Police spokesman said: “Police officers provided traffic management support to colleagues from the fire service as their vehicles were obstructing the narrow C7 Lewes to Newhaven road.

“The road was closed for around an hour from 2.45pm while the rescue operation took place.”